The ‘Councillor Grant Fund’ from Warwickshire County Council has been launched again this year, giving support to smaller voluntary and community groups in the Stratford District.
With over £70,000 to be distributed between groups and causes in the Stratford District alone, interested parties are encouraged to get their bids in early to avoid disappointment.
The fund is aimed at community and voluntary organisations and provides grants of £5,000 per ward for county councillors to allocate to small-scale projects that meet community needs.
Although applications can be made straight away, a workshop is taking place on Tuesday 13th September between 11 – 1 pm at Stratford on Avon District Council Offices to help groups apply for funds. Further information on the fund is available on www.warwickshire.gov.uk/grants and the closing date is Friday 7th October 2016.
Leader of Warwickshire County Council and ward member for Stour and the Vale, Cllr Izzi Seccombe, said: “The Councillor Grant Fund proved very popular last year with 105 projects being funded and £70,000 being awarded to community projects within the Stratford District.
She explained: “As long as the applications demonstrate worthwhile community benefit, and promote social inclusion, they will be considered, so I encourage people to come to the workshop to find out more.”
In 2015/16 the Councillor Grant fund helped a range of community organisations and initiatives. Some of the schemes to benefit include:
- Tanworth in Arden Parish Council – Purchase of a defibrillator, cabinet and carry case
- Studley Allotment Association – Extension of fruit and veg growing facilities
- Warwickshire Vision Support – Assistance with transport costs across the district
- Welford on Avon Parish Council – Purchase of play equipment for Welford on Avon school playing field
- Wellesbourne Wanderers Football Club – Replacement goal posts and waterproof kit for new girls team
- Long Compton Parish Council – Refurbishment of recreational ground equipment to allow wheelchair accessibility
- Stratford upon Avon Sea Cadets – Redecoration of unit building
- Shakespeare Hospice – Pilot of pre-bereavement Children’s Support Group
- Friends of Bridgetown Primary School – Repair of gymnastic equipment
Cllr Philip Johnson, Chair of Warwickshire County Council’s Communities Overview & Scrutiny Committee, said: “I’d encourage voluntary and community groups to apply to the grant fund if they have any smaller scale projects that could really make a difference in their communities.”
Due to the popularity of the scheme and the competitive application process, the workshop is being held on Tuesday 13th September between 11 – 1 pm at Stratford on Avon District Council Offices. Attendees can find out more about the fund, get further guidance and support for their application, as well as details of other relevant sources of funding for their projects. Places are limited so interested parties are advised to book early to guarantee a place.
For more information, advice and application support please contact Amanda Wilson-Patterson at the Stratford-on-Avon Area Office, on 07780 995817 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Application forms and guidance notes are available to download on www.warwickshire.gov.uk/stratfordarea