In a few short months, many Warwickshire primary school pupils will be making the transition to senior school. This is a big step and being able to get there safely whether walking, cycling or using public transport is fundamental to every child’s independence and maturity.
With this in mind, Warwickshire County Council’s Road Safety Team have commissioned a national theatre company, ‘Performance in Education’ to tour primary schools across the county with a fun and interactive show for Year 6 pupils to highlight aspects of personal safety, behaviours, attitudes and risks involved in the journey to and from their new school.
Key learning objectives for this course will be:
- Understanding the potential dangers of being unsafe while using the road network.
- Exploring unsafe behaviours and attitudes.
- Developing the skills they need to safely use the road as a pedestrian.
- Recognising potential distractions that could affect safe behaviours.
- Investigating the potential methods of getting to and from school.
- Understanding how our behaviour can affect other road users.
- Identifying existing safety measures and use them correctly.
Cllr John Horner, Warwickshire County Council’s portfolio holder for Community Safety, said:
“Starting secondary school is both an exciting and daunting time for children and parents. I’m very pleased to see these vital road safety messages and skills being presented in such an innovative and memorable way.”
Cllr. Philip Johnson, Chair of Warwickshire County Council’s Communities Overview and Scrutiny Committee said:
“Effective road safety education is key to reducing road related deaths and injuries among younger Warwickshire residents.”
“Different age groups need different advice and messages. Hopefully this new initiative will engage with new secondary school intakes and contribute to saving lives.”
The tour is just one element of the Warwickshire Road Safety Club which will be visiting twenty primary schools from 6th to 17th March.
More information about road safety for young people can be found on the Warwickshire Website: http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/warwickbearroadsafety