Following consultation with local businesses on the town centre road space reallocation schemes that have been put in place in Warwick and Leamington Spa, Warwickshire County Council is looking to make some changes over the weekend.
After ongoing consultation with the businesses, the Chamber, Warwick District Council and Warwick Town Council, the County Council has taken comments on board and, where practicable, made some adaptations to the schemes. The changes to the Warwick scheme include the following:
- Re-open Puckerings Lane, Brook Street and Market Street, round past the Bus Interchange to Bowling Green Street
- Reinstate all on-street parking along that length including access to disabled parking
- Reinstate the one-way system at the exit of the New Street Car Park
- Taxis are being retained on Barrack Street and Cape Road.
In Leamington Spa, having met with representatives from the Business Improvement District and Warwick District Council, the adaptations will include the following:.
- Open up the Blue Badge parking opposite the Town Hall.
- Install a temporary bus stop at Beauchamp Road
- Install a bench halfway up The Parade outside Tesco
- Remove the traffic lane outside Aubrey Allen to allow for safe queuing.
Councillor Jeff Clarke, portfolio holder for transport and planning at Warwickshire County Council, said: “We have been listening to all of our key partners in the towns and have taken comments on board around changes we could make to the plans that were initially agreed in the centres.
“When we installed the schemes it was to make the town centres safe for businesses to reopen on June 15. We had to act quickly, prioritising public safety while creating an environment in which businesses could reopen and the public could visit town centres with confidence.
“But this is a very fast-moving situation, with guidance changing rapidly, and our schemes would need the flexibility to adapt to that. We always said that once they had been installed, in line with Government expectations, that we would then be open to listening and adapting. It appears, in both of these towns, that having agreed the changes with members of the local business community, work will be done quickly. I am pleased that we have been able to come to such a swift resolution to local businesses’ concerns and thank them for working with us.”
Information about the scheme can be found at www.warwickshire.gov.uk/covid19roadlayouts.